If only the walls could talk…The White Hart has enjoyed a rich and varied history, since it was built in 1788 by local landowner John Buckley. From being the local police station, with the top floor used to lock up the prisoners in shackles, to a schoolhouse, then a weaver’s cottage, the building was then used in the Second World War as a look out point, with the cellars a bomb shelter.
The Buckley family sold the pub in 1921 to the Gartside Brewery and it remained brewery owned until 1987.
In June 1994, Charles Brierley bought the freehold of The White Hart Inn and has extended and renovated the pub, turning it into the award-winning venue it is today.
We’ve got all the mouth-watering favourites you’d expect from a pub menu, using exceptional ingredients and cooked by our award-winning team. Expect the finest quality, with tweaks on the traditional to make them our own.
From cask ales, craft beers and international lagers, to cocktails, an extensive wine list and a gin menu to impress even the biggest gin aficionado, our bar has it all.
A pub that feels like home. We’re proud of the atmosphere we’ve created here, which is present in every room, nook and cranny at The White Hart, from the warmth of log-burning stoves and coal fires, to the familiar pictures adorning the walls and a friendly regular or two sitting at the bar.